At some point – like four decades ago – we need to move the state highway OUT of Sonoma. (How many California state highways have three schools within half-a-mile of each other?) But keeping freeways out of Valley of the Moon comes at a cost that politicians and Caltrans don’t want to pay.
It’s this simple and this complicated…
1. Widen Hwy 12 to four lanes from Napa to Bonneau.
2. Reduce speed limits and narrow Napa Rd from Hwy 12 to Broadway to restrict local traffic enormously.
3. Widen Arnold Dr four lanes from Bonneau to Stage Gulch Rd and widen Stage Gulch, too, to four lanes.
4. Widen Adobe Rd to four lanes to Frates in Petaluma
5. Widen Frates to four lanes to Hwy 101.
Of course, it’s taken a couple of decades to make Hwy 101 wider from the county line to Santa Rosa. (I call it the Winchester Mystery House Caltrans Project of the Century.) So, we’ll have to wait for Caltrans to build a toll-funded floating Hwy 37 from Vallejo to Novato sometime in 2065 before they’ll consider spending $50 million to even study my proposal!
— Greg Brennan, Sonoma