SV schools prepare to close during power outage
Posted on October 8, 2019 by Sonoma Valley Sun
Sonoma Valley schools will close if PG&E cuts power during a period of high winds predicted for Wednesday and Thursday.
District Superintendent Socorro Shiels today released this statement:
“As you may be aware, PG & E is predicting a potential power shut off tonight for our area, they may de-energize our area and others across the state.
“They predict that there will be phases of power shut off beginning tonight around midnight and through the early morning tomorrow.
“We believe we will:
- Be closed if there is no power. We will make this call as soon as we can based on the information we have. Right now, we believe we will be closed.
- All district sponsored activities will be cancelled and will remain so until school reopens.
- If we lose power, it is highly likely we will be closed Wednesday – Friday, as it is predicted that it will take at least 48 hours for PG & E to restore power.
- We will send out an automated message to clarify. We understand many people may lose the ability to stay connected with communication as batteries empty.
- We have prepared communication methods that will allow us to connect via phone and email if power is out in our area. We understand that the ability to receive communication may be compromised.
Thank you for working with us as we weather this together. We will always put the safety of our community first. Please take care of yourself and your family and we will work together to get through this challenge. Thank you.”